A fascinating history of discovery
In 1965 Borde Hill Garden became a registered charity and opened its gates to the public for the first time. Our registered charity number is 246589.
Borde Hill House was built by Sir Stephen Borde whose family lived in Cuckfield for generations. “SB 1598″ above the West porch.
Purchased by Walter Gatland with 200 acres for £2,382.
Purchased by Mr Randle for £4,700.
Purchased by Preston family who added the central portion of the house. Their family crest can be seen in the house and the gate to the Rose garden.
House passed to a Major MacAdam via his wife, Miss Preston.
Purchased by the Cunliffe Lister family.
Purchased by Col. Stephenson Robert Clarke who built the East Wing, altered and restored the central Southern bay windows & added the present porch to the North front door.
South Lawn and Ha-Ha created.
The Clarke family were patrons of some of the great plant collectors who went to the Himalayas, China, Tasmania, the Andes and North America.
Azalea Ring planted with Knapp Hill varieties.
Warren Wood planted.
Stephanie’s Glade planted.
Garden of Allah extended with plants from the collector Kingdon Ward.
Expansion of the collection to the outlying woods (e.g. Gores Wood).
Sir Ralph & Lady Clarke take up residence as Stephenson R. Clarke died in 1948 aged 86.
Garden opens to the public as a registered charity.
Sir Ralph Clarke died and was succeeded by his son Robert Nunn Stephenson Clarke.
The storm of October 1987 caused extensive damage to the gardens and woods. Robert N. Stephenson Clarke died and was succeeded by his son Andrewjohn Patrick Stephenson Clarke.
Victorian Stable Block converted into Restaurant & Tea Rooms and creation of the lakes in the South Park.
Borde Hill Garden Restoration Study – Lear Associates/Land Use Consultants.
Adventure playground created.
Rose garden recreated based on the 1902 designs shown in Country Life magazine.
Heritage Lottery Fund donation for restoring the Victorian Greenhouses and access improvements.
Harvey Stephens is appointed head gardener.
The Potting Sheds are refurbished and given a ‘Southern Hemisphere’ theme.
New plantings in The Italian Garden to redefine its Mediterranean inspiration.
40th Anniversary of the opening to the public of Borde Hill Garden and centenary of Warren Wood.
Mid Summer Border planted to a design by Dr Tony Lord.
Paradise Walk re-planted to a new design by James Alexander-Sinclair.
50th anniversary of the Garden opening to the public as a registered charity.
Installation of the ‘Infinity Box’ in the Long Dell, designed by RHS Gold Medalist Gabrielle Evans and reimagined by Landscape Architect, Jade Goto.
125th anniversary of the purchase of Borde Hill by Col. Stephenson Robert Clarke, marked by the planting of the ‘Gardiner Grove’.