Garden of Allah
This part of the Garden was named by Sir Ralph Stephenson Clarke due to its peace & tranquillity.
Originally part of the Parkland it was cultivated in the early 1920s with rhododendrons collected by Frank Kingdon-Ward. The soil conditions are ideal for trees and some have reached ‘champion’ proportions.
Opposite Becky’s Bower, is a Liriodendron chinensis (Chinese tulip tree) collected by E.H. Wilson in 1903 and planted in 1913. In late spring its lotus like flowers, together with its wonderfully shaped leaves, make it one of nature’s wonders not to be missed.
Here the most rare magnolia is M. fraseri, a seedling received in 1933. Another impressive plant, Magnolia obovata (syn. M. hypoleuca), also a champion tree. Both trees flower in late May with gigantic scented creamy flowers perfuming the entire area.
The wildlife pond was created in 1997 with Heritage Lottery Fund grant.
- Crinodendron hookerianum
- Betula pendula ‘Youngii’
- Fuchsia cultivars
- Adicia polycarpa
- Hydrangea longpipes
- Magnolia campberllii molicomata
- Richea scoparia